1810 – Benedictines establish chapel on land donated by the Curwen family.
1813 – The first chapel and the priests house was built. Mass was said in this chapel until 1876. the original chapel then became Banklands Church Hall.J

1834 11th March 1934 Edwin Welby Pugin born as the eldest son of AWN Pugin

1852 AWN Pugin dies and Edwin takes his place in the family practice

1873 – Foundation stone is laid

1875 – E.W. Pugin dies aged 41 prior to the completion of Our Lady Star of the Sea and St Michael’s church

1876 – Our Lady Star of the Sea and St Michael was built to a design by E.W. Pugin.

1866 – 67 St Marys Furness is completed

1868 – St Beghs Whitehaven is completed

1872 – St Mary’s Cleator is completed

1891 – Sanctuary Window erected. See Stained Glass page

1921 – Church was consecrated

Choir stalls erected . Design and work of Robert Thompson of Kilburn, Yorkshire assisted by his partner Mr Barker. See excerpts from Parish Journal 1920-1921

Excerpt from the Parish Journal 1920-21

List of those taking part in Consecration Ceremony

The local press have published splendid accounts of the great week. We append full lists of all who took part in the ceremonies as a record for future generations.

Consecrator of Church and High Altar – Right Rev,. Richard Collings, D.D., Bishop of Hexham and Newcastle. Assistants to Bishop :- Rev. G Knuckey of Carlisle and Rev. J. Thorman of St Andres, Newcastle upon Tyne.
Consecrator of Lady Altar – Right Rev. J. O. Smith, o. s. b., Phil. D., Abbot of Ampleforth, Abbot President of English Benedictine Congregation. Assistants to Abbot:- Rev. A. M. Powell, o. s. b., of Ampleforth Abbey and Rev. E.D. Fennell, o. s. b. of Cleator.
Consecrator of Altar of Sacred Passion – right Rev. A. J. McDonald, o. s. b., Abbott of Fort Augustus. Assistant to Abbott McDonald:- Rev. W. S. Dawes, o. s. b. , of Cockermouth, and Rev. H. W. A. Chamberlain, o. s. b. ., B.A., of Workington

2001 – reordering of the sanctuary area,

2009 – The Benedictines of Ampleforth are replaced by the Priest from Diocese of Lancaster

2021 – September 14th , 100th Anniversary of the Consecration of Church

2023 – 150 since the foundation stones was laid

2026 – 150 years since the opening of church