A book Title “Fifty Catholic Churches to See Before You Die” was published on 27th September 2020. It includes Our Lady Star of the Sea and St. Michael in Workington. Having our Church included in one of only fifty Catholic Churches from around 3000 in England and Wales says an awful to about the history and quality of this superb building which we are fortunate to have on our door step.
The book can be ordered from Gracewing
Donations to help this restoration of our beautiful church can be made by any of the methods listed below:-
You can help by:
- Committing to regular giving or increase your current regular giving.
- Donate a sum of money – either by using one of the ways listed or by using the donation box affixed to a pillar in the church porch.
- Sponsor part of the renovation.
- Include a legacy in your will (Contact the parish office for the wording)
- Offer shares or other valuable assets.
- If you want all or any of your donation to be specifically for the Workington Stella Maris Project, please make a suitable endorsement on your envelope, document or gift.
- If you make payment by cheque, please make it payable to: Christ the Good Shepherd. – please endorse with WSMP on reverse.
- If donating via standing order/internet banking please use WSMP as the reference. (Forms are available from the parish office).
- You can also donate via ‘Just Giving’ on the Workington Stella Maris Project website – www.stellamarisproject.co.uk
- Click onto ‘Donations’ or visit the parish website – www.workingtoncatholicchurch.co.uk then click on ‘Workington Stella Maris Project’. Again select ‘Donations’. Please ensure your gift is endorsed Workington Stella Maris Project.
If you are a tax payer, please consider Gift Aiding your donation. All money given through Gift Aid means your donation will be worth 25% more to us at no extra cost to you. Gift Aid forms are available at the back of church and from the Priory office. An alternative is to use a My Gift to Christ envelope and endorse it ‘WSMP’.
£5 – with gift aid we receive £6.25.
£10 – with gift aid we receive £12.50
£20 – with gift aid we receive £25.00
£50 – with gift aid we receive £62.50
Please consider our request and take this opportunity to safeguard the church, thank you.
Chair of the Workington Stella Maris Project Group
WORKINGTON STELLA MARIS GROUP – background
The Workington Stella Maris Project Group was Established in 2016 under the Authority of Canon Paul Swarbrick, now bishop of Lancaster, to prepare and deliver a restoration/repair plan for the church of Our Lady Star of the Sea and St Michael (OLSM), Banklands on behalf of the Parish of the Good Shepherd. The Objective is to strengthen spiritual, emotional and cultural relationships between the church and the wider community.
The group is made up of volunteers who are passionate that the church should not go into decline but be restored to it’s former glory for future generations to enjoy. This group is Chaired by John Garner , Ann Diamond as secretary, together with Canon John Watson and 4 other Parishioners, all people from not only catholic community but from the wider community who also share a passion that this beautiful church should not fall into decline and forms part of the heritage of Workington Town.
The Group is supported by Conservation Architect, Elaine Blackett-Ord MA (Cons)DipArc IHBC RIBA
The church is now officially on the “At Risk “ register https://historicengland.org.uk/advice/heritage-at-risk/search-register/list-entry/18969
Challenges are expected with grant applications as the group and the parishioners ( following a recent public consultation questionnaire where priorities where established) are determined to maintain the sacred space.